[ubuntu-uk] Unity launcher ....

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Sun Mar 25 10:12:39 UTC 2012


On 25/03/12 10:48, scoundrel50a wrote:
> On 25/03/2012 10:18, alan c wrote:
>> On 23/03/12 22:11, scoundrel50a wrote:
>>> On 23/03/2012 22:04, Alan Pope wrote:
>>> On 23/03/12 21:45, Daniel Case wrote:
>>>>>> On 23 March 2012 21:21, Neil Greenwood
>>>>>> <neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com>   wrote:
>>>>>>> They spent lots of money testing different behaviours
>>>>>> In my opinion, this is where the problem lies. The main people
>>>>>> Linux attracts, no matter which way you look at it, are hackers (in
>>>>>> the general sense).
>>> That's exactly the problem we're trying to solve. Not asking the
>>> target audience, but only asking hackers would be arrogant and
>>> foolhardy. That's why we don't do that. We do listen to feedback, more
>>> than you'd imagine, and decisions taken about design (for example) are
>>> directly affected by user feedback. That doesn't happen for every
>>> minute decision, but it happens.
>>>
>>> We're also making it easier to buy computers with Ubuntu pre-installed
>>> by talking to hardware vendors, to get it shipped from the factory.
>>> It's hard work and takes a long time to do but we're getting there.
>>>
>>>>>> Which brings me back to my first point, who's going to advocate
>>>>>> Ubuntu if it annoys the hacker and makes life more difficult?
>>>>>>
>>> Those of us who do like it, do use it and believe it is the right path
>>> for Ubuntu to take. If you don't then you have a number of options:-
>>>
>>> * Install a different desktop environment on your Ubuntu system
>>> * Join the discussion on the various Ubuntu development lists to
>>> articulate how we're doing things wrong
>>> * Test and file bugs when things don't work correctly
>>> * Provide patches or programs to help Ubuntu&   Unity to appeal
>>>
>>> Personally I am in this for the long haul. Each 6 monthly release is
>>> fantastic, but I'm thinking years away from now, and I'm happy to
>>> persevere through the rough times because I think the long term goal
>>> is worth it.
>>>
>>> Frankly if people who are "inside" our community, "hackers" as you
>>> call them aren't willing to get stuck in then Linux Mint, Debian,
>>> Fedora and hundreds of other distros are ->   that way. Enjoy!
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> oooh and who took your dummy away.......that was my reaction when I read
>>> that.......but the thing is, you work for Canonical, so your going to
>>> say that, whatever happens........what is frustrating is people on here
>>> are giving an opinion and its being thrown aside is if it doesnt matter
>>> because you have all this research into what people like, but people are
>>> here telling you different, that has been going on since 11.04 people
>>> have said they dont like it......and its not getting better its getting
>>> worse.....
>> I think that is an unfair response. Alan has personally given me
>> unbelievable support over many years  for my activities as a volunteer
>> advocate of FLOSS and Ubuntu.
>> What he says is sensible and quite proper, and I am delighted that he
>> has the courage to post on this group.
> I am glad that he has been helpful to you, but this thread has shown a 
> different side, one that says, if you dont like it go elsewhere, is that 
> helpful, that is effectively telling people he has no time for them, 
> that isnt consistent.....if he keeps saying that people will start going 
> elsewhere......is that what you really want?

On the contrary. I went up to a counter in a (french) market and asked
for a cup of tea. I was treated politely, however they explained  they
 were a restaurant  counter only and  did not serve drinks, however
they were careful to direct me to a nearby counter which was a bar,
and served exactly what wanted. the same happened when I  went into a
shop wantnig a bottle of milk. I got directed to another shop 400
meters away, and did manage to get what I wanted.

It is, surely, quite appropriate to be directed to a place to get what
you say you want?
Anything else would be unhelpful.
-- 
alan cocks



More information about the ubuntu-uk mailing list