[ubuntu-uk] Free lunch?

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Sun Mar 25 10:06:04 UTC 2012

On 24/03/12 11:08, Chris Penston wrote:

[snip of really good stuff]

>  People tend to be impressed by the novelty
> that they have a choice.  Almost always, the reaction is astonishment
> that something can be so good without costing anything 'so there must be
> a catch'.

Yes I find that a lot, also. It is difficult explaining that although
there is no such thing as a free lunch (probably true), that there
*is* Libre software. But then, there is -some- good in the world. I
was in Paris  for a short trip recently and on two occasions, complete
strangers helped with acts of kindness. One gent insisted I took his
seat on a crowded bus (1) and later that day I (we) were lost on the
Metro and a couple noticed this and helped us get sorted.

1) He looked at least as old as I am! But I guess he saw my walking
stick and also I was very unpractised and clumsy trying to get a hand
hold. Slightly embarrassing to get noticed in such a way, but
heartwarming and appreciated nevertheless.

> 'keep calm and carry on!'  The times are changing.

Yay!

--
alan cocks