[ubuntu-uk] Unity launcher ....

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Sun Mar 25 09:41:46 UTC 2012

On 23/03/12 22:51, scoundrel50a wrote:
> .I never once since 11.04 have seen anything about testing,
> being involved, but I see people on here and have had to ask myself, and
> there is a tendency to either ignore or react the way you have, and you
> wonder why people get angry.......first I have heard of the testing done
> in this thread........would have been nice to be involved in that.......

Mark Shuttleworth has a regular and amazingly detailed blog, he also
has IRC sessions for Q & A, I  attended at least one. The governance
of Ubuntu is amazingly open and on record. There is a real lot of
stuff open and online, including a lot of videos of interviews and
conferences. I should say I think Mark S is a far sighted genius. The
one thing that you do not get with Ubuntu or Canonical is bullsh*t and
spin. In today's world this can be hard to accept. If information was
being looked for then there is a *lot* of raw information available,
but no marketing spin.

People got angry because they got hurt. There was plenty of
explanation available, and very detailed it was too, and some long
discussions on lists, some painful. However, afaik Canonical was not
contrite about the changes, and I think that a 'Sorry, we really *do*
have to go this way' would have helped. The lack of a 'sorry' is
something I noticed, and is a bit surprising because it would not cost
anything. But I guess that is what happens when there is no 'spin'.
--
alan cocks