[ubuntu-uk] Unity launcher ....

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Sun Mar 25 09:07:47 UTC 2012

On 23/03/12 21:06, Alan Bell wrote:
> On 23/03/12 20:16, Hakan Koseoglu wrote:
>> <soap box>
>> Treating users as idiots is not a policy, it's a mistake.
>> As soon as I find a distribution worth installing everywhere, I'll be
>> switching. Mint doesn't cut the mustard. I'm a Kubuntu/Lubuntu user on
>> desktop and Ubuntu server  but I don't want to anymore, I don't want
>> to have anything with Ubuntu products.
>>
>> I know the PR spin, "it's to make new users' life easy" yada yada
>> yada. But the new users don't discover Linux all by themselves, in
>> most cases someone shows them and I don't want to show and talk about
>> Ubuntu to anyone anymore.
>> </soap box>
>>
> ok, well as long as you are still using Free Software it is all good.
> The dodge thing was something Mark Shuttleworth really liked too, but
> when they did lots of user testing and watched the videos of people
> being confused by it they dropped the concept.
> there is more about the decision here
> https://lists.launchpad.net/unity-design/msg07835.html

When I used unity for the very first time I was irritated and confused
by the dodging launcher, and I can easily understand that novices and
newcomers will have problems also. And at the time my explicit advice
to someone who was going to put it on their Dad's PC was to - at least
 -  stop the autohide launcher.

As a more fluent and more confident user now I am probably happy with
dodge or autohide, but  I do realise  this stuff is cutting edge and
still developing. And doge launcher is pretty neat.
--
alan cocks