[ubuntu-uk] Unity launcher ....

Pete Smout psmouty at live.com
Sat Mar 24 19:41:39 UTC 2012

On 24/03/12 11:58, Barry Drake wrote:
> On 24/03/12 01:38, Liam Proven wrote:
>> However, I do think that Unity in general is not /nearly/ as
>> customisable as Linux users tend to be used to.
>
> At the moment, yes. When Unity first came out I was disappointed to
> discover that it was not based on simple text conf files as is usual in
> gnu/linux. Things are moving though.
> http://mhall119.com/2012/01/simplified-unity-lens-development-with-singlet/
> shows use of a python class library to take much of the pain out of lens
> scripting. It won't be long before somebody comes up with a gui ide that
> builds a lens using drag-n-drop or similar. It's the kind of thing I'd
> have tackled myself when I was younger.
>
> I'm prepared to wait - Unity is perfectly usable as is - and that
> doesn't seem to be the case with Windows 8 according to all the reports.
>
> Regards, Barry.

Hi,
Having come relatively late to Ubuntu (8.10) I have become used to the
customizeabilty of GNOME, and I don't want slag off many peoples hard
work, but Unity as it stands is not for me (everything must change, and
hopefully get better) but I do feel that it is going down the Windows
route of 'this is how it is like it or lump it! To me this is not the
LINUX way.

A friend of mine has just discovered 'Ultimate OS' a *buntu fork with a
choice of de's built in, this looks very good and if choice is continued
to be taken away from me then I will have will have to explore alternate
options myself!

This is not an easy decision for me as I have been shouting the virtues
of Ubuntu from the metaphorical hilltops since I first stumbled across
it, but if pushed will also shout about how let down I feel by the dev's.

It is about personal choice but Unity is not mine! Xubuntu here I come!

Pete