[ubuntu-uk] Unity launcher ....

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Sat Mar 24 11:58:18 UTC 2012

On 24/03/12 01:38, Liam Proven wrote:
> However, I do think that Unity in general is not /nearly/ as
> customisable as Linux users tend to be used to.

At the moment, yes.  When Unity first came out I was disappointed to
discover that it was not based on simple text conf files as is usual in
gnu/linux.  Things are moving though.
http://mhall119.com/2012/01/simplified-unity-lens-development-with-singlet/
shows use of a python class library to take much of the pain out of lens
scripting.  It won't be long before somebody comes up with a gui ide
that builds a lens using drag-n-drop or similar.  It's the kind of thing
I'd have tackled myself when I was younger.

I'm prepared to wait - Unity is perfectly usable as is - and that
doesn't seem to be the case with Windows 8 according to all the reports.

Regards,        Barry.

http://ubuntuadverts.org/