[ubuntu-uk] Unity launcher ....

Chris Penston chris.penston at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 11:08:19 UTC 2012

I came late to Computing (in my late thirties as a mature student at
University, I'm 56 now). I've been mucking about with Linux since around
1998 when it took me about four days to get a Red Hat release partially
working on a laptop.
I've been looking with interest at the posts on here for a number of
years and learned an awful amount about gnu-linux in general and Ubuntu
in particular from you wonderful techies without ever posting (I haven't
yet /not/ found an answer to a question already posted by someone else).
I thought I might just put my two penn'orth in on this particular
subject where there seems to be such strong feelings about the direction
things are going.
For me the debate has never been about how this looks, or whether that
is the best distro (my 83 year old mother uses Xubuntu, though she
doesn't realise it, she just knows what she needs to press to get the
internet or email).  Nor does it seem to be the major factor to the
myriad of people that I try to introduce to Ubuntu on a daily basis.
For those that /do /show//interest after overcoming their innate
distrust of 'something for nothing', it is the revelation that there is
a massive community of people 'out there' willing to give time,
expertise and money to something they passionately believe in and that
in a world seemingly run by a bunch of self interested grifters, there
are alternative ways of doing things.  That collaboration and
co-operation can actually produce something better than naked
competition and greed (Windows 8?, what a pointless rip off).
For those getting worked up about Launchers and  and such like, reminds
me of those ancient philosophers who spent their time worrying about how
many angels could dance on the head of a pin.  The fact is, there is an
Ubuntu distribution for pretty much everybody (and I always try to make
a point of showing these alternatives once someone has shown a
willingness to try Ubuntu).  People tend to be impressed by the novelty
that they have a choice.  Almost always, the reaction is astonishment
that something can be so good without costing anything 'so there must be
a catch'.
I haven't tried 12.04 yet and when I do, I daresay here will be things
that I don't like at first.  Personally I'm comfortable with that.
There were things I didn't like about that version of Red Hat all those
years ago.  The difficulty appears to me to be the same now as it was
then; the restrictive practices of proprietry software and hardware
vendors and the massive negative propaganda of the big corporations
aided by ignorance in government.  So I would say to everyone involved
'keep calm and carry on!'  The times are changing.

Chris