[ubuntu-uk] Unity launcher ....

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 01:38:12 UTC 2012

On 23 March 2012 20:16, Hakan Koseoglu <hakan at koseoglu.org> wrote:
> On 23 March 2012 19:54, Neil Greenwood <neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It's policy. The decision was made after usability testing, where users got
>> confused when first maximising a window. "where's the launcher gone now?"
>> And because the option was being removed, the decision was also made to
>> remove the code to reduce the maintenance requirements.
> <soap box>
> Treating users as idiots is not a policy, it's a mistake.

Whereas I agree with this statement, I don't think that in this
instance Ubuntu are doing so.

However, I do think that Unity in general is not /nearly/ as
customisable as Linux users tend to be used to.

There always were 2 opposing positions - KDE which has 436546834
different options to tweak, but still can't do a decent vertical
taskbar, for instance, versus GNOME, which removed all the confusing
twiddly stuff in the name of simplicity. But customisability was still
there - for instance, in KDE, you can set the size of new terminal
windows. There was no such option in GNOME, but if you shut down with
a terminal window open, it remembered it and new ones opened that
size.

Same effect, fewer options.

But Unity is not very customisable. You can do a bit more with
CompizConfig and Confity, but not enough.

If people want the Launcher at the bottom or the right, they should be
permitted - but no, you're not allowed.

If they want to have the Launcher fixed, autohide or dodge, they
should - but no. Not allowed.

If they want an auto-hiding top panel, even if that conflicts with the
auto-hiding menus, let them - but no.

If they want the Ubuntu button in the panel (as in 10.10 - 11.04) or
the first icon, let them choose - but no.

If they want to right-click the Ubuntu button and have a context menu
of program groups, as used to be there IIRC, let them - but no.

Unity is getting quite mature now. None of what I'm proposing is new
code - this is all either restoring features that were one present, or
things that have been accomplished by hacks, config tweaks and so on.
It's all doable. But it's not getting any more configurable - in fact,
options are /disappearing./ This is a very serious error of judgement,
I think.

I think Linux users are used to a higher degree of configurability
than Windows or Mac users, and Unity takes it away. I quite like
Unity, but I am not impressed by some of the changes in 12.04.

> As soon as I find a distribution worth installing everywhere, I'll be
> switching. Mint doesn't cut the mustard. I'm a Kubuntu/Lubuntu user on
> desktop and Ubuntu server  but I don't want to anymore, I don't want
> to have anything with Ubuntu products.

Linux Mint Debian Edition? Crunchbang?

Or Debian itself. I think those are your main options.

Or if you don't mind losing APT, then Arch Linux, which is getting a
lot of attention these days.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884