[ubuntu-uk] Does AV chat work with Jabber?

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 11:13:45 UTC 2012

On 23 March 2012 10:11, Alan Pope <alan.pope at canonical.com> wrote:
> On 22/03/12 23:57, James Tait wrote:
>> Although I don't recall seeing the PulseAudio and zeitgeist-daemon
>>  problem, your experiences largely match my own.  I work away from
>> home for one week every six months or so, and have tried various
>> solutions for calling my wife and two boys.  Skype stopped working
>> for us altogether, so we decided to try Jabber.
> We switched to Google+ Hangouts for this scenario.
> "Just Works" is a massive selling point. Being able to use it on the
> phone too now is also super useful. Not a FLOSS solution, but then
> neither is Skype.

For what it's worth, Google Talk and their Hangouts infrastructure is
largely based around Jabber/XMPP protocols. As they transition to
WebRTC (a standard for using voice/video in the browser without Flash)
a lot of open-source libraries are popping up, both from Google and
other folks. They are also planning to document and release their
Hangouts protocol extensions.

I know it's no use to anyone much now, but in 6-12 months I would be
very surprised if there isn't a 100% FLOSS hangouts equivalent around.

PS. More on the thread's original topic - Jabber/XMPP voice and video
is at various stages of maturity in different desktop clients. You
might take a look at Jitsi which (Java warning in advance for those
that need it) I believe has more solid voice/video than most other
Jabber/XMPP clients: http://jitsi.org/ . It's not yet fully mature,
but many people are billing it as the open-source eventual "Skype