[ubuntu-uk] Does AV chat work with Jabber?

James Tait james.tait at wyrddreams.org
Thu Mar 22 23:57:06 UTC 2012

On 22/03/12 22:16, Tony Pursell wrote:
> Does anyone know if Audio and Video (AV) chat works with Jabber from
> Empathy?
[snip]
> However, when we tried Jabber AV chat we got no connection.  I would
> like to show him that we can move away from Skype, especially as we can
> expect no more Linux support for it now that Microsoft have bought them.
>
> I have just been trying to make a Jabber AV connection between two
> computers at home using Empathy and that has been a failure too,
> although I have had it working OK in the past.  Both ends just showed
> 'Connecting' and even when I hung up both ends, my desktop computer
> showed Pulseaudio and zeitgeist-daemon taking up to 100% of both CPU
> cores and 80% of the 2GB ram, until I killed them both.
>
> What experience do other people have?

Although I don't recall seeing the PulseAudio and zeitgeist-daemon
problem, your experiences largely match my own.  I work away from home
for one week every six months or so, and have tried various solutions
for calling my wife and two boys.  Skype stopped working for us
altogether, so we decided to try Jabber.

When it works, it's fantastic, but it does seem very temperamental.  I
thought it was probably due to NAT traversal issues, but configuring a
STUN server didn't help[0], and even on the same WLAN we had problems.
I haven't had chance to look into it any further recently, but I really
should before I go away again.

The last time I went away I used SIP from my Android phone using the
hotel wifi to our land line via VoipFone.  No video, but crystal clear
voice calls from Argentina for 1.2p/min.

JT

[0] How did I do that? Good question, but I don't think it was using
Empathy.  Maybe it was Psi+.
James Tait, BSc                        |    xmpp:jayteeuk at wyrddreams.org
Programmer and Free Software advocate  |        Tel: +44 (0)870 490 2407