[ubuntu-uk] Does AV chat work with Jabber?

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Mar 22 22:16:38 UTC 2012

Hi Folks

Does anyone know if Audio and Video (AV) chat works with Jabber from
Empathy?

I meet up with my brother frequently on-line for an AV chat. Up to now we
have used Skype, which works well, because he is basically a Windows man,
but recently he has started to experiment with Ubuntu (11.10) on a USB
stick.  We have tried our usual Skype chat using Ubuntu both ends and that
is OK (now he has got himself a UVC compatible  webcam).  However, when we
tried Jabber AV chat we got no connection.  I would like to show him that
we can move away from Skype, especially as we can expect no more Linux
support for it now that Microsoft have bought them.

I have just been trying to make a Jabber AV connection between two
computers at home using Empathy and that has been a failure too, although I
have had it working OK in the past.  Both ends just showed 'Connecting' and
even when I hung up both ends, my desktop computer showed Pulseaudio and
zeitgeist-daemon taking up to 100% of both CPU cores and 80% of the 2GB
ram, until I killed them both.

What experience do other people have?

I know AV chat may not be a top priority for a lot of the Ubuntu community,
but Microsoft always make a big thing of it when promoting their operating
systems.