[ubuntu-uk] MS-DOS not being added to GRUB menu (Lubuntu 12.04)

Piskie ub.untu at btinternet.com
Sat Mar 17 02:43:02 UTC 2012

On 17/03/12 01:47, Liam Proven wrote:
> I asked this on the other list, possibly by mistake.
>
> I have installed beta 1 of Lubuntu 12.04 on an old PC I'm planning to give away.
>
> The only thing that is not flawless about it is that GRUB2 has not
> picked up that the primary partition on hard disk 0 contains MS-DOS -
> 7.1, specifically, from a Windows 98SE recovery floppy. It's a small
> install - just the core utils in a \DOS directory - but when I run
> `update-grub` it appears not to notice it at all.
>
> Is there any way of manually adding an OS to GRUB2?
>
> --
> Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
> Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
> MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
> Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Yes - you need to edit /etc/grub.d/40_custom and add the stanza there.

Something like

menuentry "msdos622 on sda1" {
     insmod chain
     insmod fat
     set root=(hd0,1)
     chainloader +1
}

Change the partition numbering to suit you.

Then you need to run sudo update-grub.

Hope that helps

Kev

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10275310&postcount=3