[ubuntu-uk] dig out your old computers...

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 18:20:37 UTC 2012

On 16 March 2012 17:52, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 March 2012 17:17, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Did you do a check on the CD to make sure it was downloaded and burnt
>> correctly?  Last time I had crashes during install I burned a new CD
>> and it was ok.
>
> I let Brasero do a checksum & it said no errors - but I didn't
> download the separate MD5sum or whatever it's called, no.
>
> Quicker to do an alt-CD. It's approaching 90% now and seems fine so
> far. I'll try the other CD on my elderly PIII Thinkpad at some point
> soon.

Installed smoothly, running nicely so far. Graphics performance isn't
brilliant but it's only an ancient Matrox card & I'm not sure it has
any drivers or acceleration.

Currently doing an update, then I'll install the restricted extras & a
few things & give it a bit of a hammering.

System spec:

Dual Athlon MP @ 1666MHz
1GB DDR RAM
LSI Logic 64-bit PCI UltraSCSI 3 adaptor with 9GB Quantum boot disk,
Quantum 17GB /home disk and IBM 4GB for dedicated swap.
Matrox G550 AGP dual-head graphics card.
3Com 3c595 100Mb Ethernet card.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884