[ubuntu-uk] Launcher applets

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 13:06:36 UTC 2012

On 16 March 2012 08:24, alan c <aeclist at candt.waitrose.com> wrote:
> On 15/03/12 22:44, Liam Proven wrote:
>> But I reckon that many of the new users flooding across once 12.04 is
>> the new LTS are going to want actual good old-fashioned menus. :¬/
>
> Are you sure about this? I am not. Most of the friends I help with
> Ubuntu are only interested in the apps they use. These are very non
> geeks. They have no interest whatsoever in all the other stuff, and
> this is most obvious when in a support conversation I state an app and
> its (menu) path in the menu structure. The menu path is an issue for
> them, and is treated with great reverence like some ritual. For
> myself, I  have fairly good knowledge of the content of the menus even
> though I do not use many of the apps.
>
> I believe that in future, all I need to do is tell them to type the
> app name, and then run it. If they want to be independent, what they
> will do is use the dash and then drill down, as I will. I do expect
> that there will be a way to drill down or display all installed apps
> whatever.
>
> I think that  most of the world's population (  =future Ubuntu users)
> will be happy  or even, happier, without menus.

No, I'm not sure, it's just a feeling.

I moved from Android to iOS this year and I miss even Android's
rudimentary menus.

I hate the phone-style big-mess-of-apps launcher screens. I find it
overwhelming and daunting.

Menus are browseable. That's how I learn what options I have. Sure,
then I use keystrokes to select the options I want - because I learned
to use PCs before the era of the mouse - but to learn what the options
*are* I like menus.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884