[ubuntu-uk] Launcher applets

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 22:44:35 UTC 2012

On 15 March 2012 22:27, Alan Bell <alanbell at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> oh, interesting. Sadly it won't work as the quicklists do not permit a
> hierarchical menu structure (yes, I tried)

I had a look at quicklists and figured they probably were not what I
wanted or needed.

The question is, can one create an app that runs /only/ in the
Launcher, has no windows of its own, but generates & draws its own
menus? I've seen someone try to do it with an Indicator but it felt to
me like it was in the wrong place, being over on the right.

> One thing I can do with the quicklists api stuff is add quicklists for all
> the windows of an application. That means you can find and raise the one
> window you want from the set of windows of an application type without all
> the others rising to the top. This also stops you wanting to stab your
> monitor quite so frequently. If you want to try it out the code is here:
> http://people.ubuntu.com/~alanbell/quicklists.py
> and I have a badly made package of it here:
> http://people.ubuntu.com/~alanbell/unity-window-quicklists.deb

That's quite nifty!

> I think the way to fix the unity dash is to just fix the applications lens
> so it uses the categories as categories like this
> http://people.ubuntu.com/~alanbell/applicationslens.png

That was in part my inspiration, yes! Nice bit of work, by the way, if
I have not already said so.

But I reckon that many of the new users flooding across once 12.04 is
the new LTS are going to want actual good old-fashioned menus. :¬/

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884