[ubuntu-uk] Hdmi output-- ubuntu

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 15:36:05 UTC 2012

On 15 March 2012 15:16, javadayaz <javadayaz at gmail.com> wrote:
> My laptop is blessed with a HDMI output which probably works with Windows
> (its a windows machine.).
>
> How can I utilize this in Ubuntu? Ideally I would like to just connect to my
> 42" and watch the video or browse some pictures!
>
> Look forward to your advice!

I tried this on Monday. Giving a presentation from LibreOffice
Impress, from my own laptop; discovered the venue's big screen only
had HDMI in. I didn't even know my cheapo MSI laptop had an HDMI port!

Plugged it in, rebooted, on it came. Went into monitor settings,
unticked "mirror screens", it set the right resolution automagically.

In LibreOffice, I set the big screen as my presentation screen,
internal one as the presenter's screen, and off I went.

Absolutely no config or setup required. Plug in and go.

However, as with any external screen, I suggest you turn the computer
off, plug in the screen, then turn it back on. Not for electronic
safety (although that is no bad idea) but it means that the BIOS and
the OS can detect the monitor when it is connected and on at system
startup.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884