[ubuntu-uk] Introducing Ubuntu & Unity to new people

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 00:08:28 UTC 2012

On 14 March 2012 20:22, alan c <aeclist at candt.waitrose.com> wrote:
> On 13/03/12 20:46, alan c wrote:
>> A tangential one here.
>> Someone made a video of his dad trying Win8 for the first time. Worth
>> a serious watch. There but for the grace of God go I. (But not to
>> Windows for me though)
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4boTbv9_nU&feature=youtu.be
>
> Yay!
> Our famous Dad is now trying Ubuntu 11.10
> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/03/video-a-users-first-time-with-ubuntu-11-10/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28OMG!+Ubuntu!%29
> shortened link:
> http://t.co/cLh4IcGY
>
> I note that this guy gets hung up on the desktop switcher. I think in
> my  earlier commenrts re beginners,  I would leave the switcher until
> late in a demo, it can be confusing, although he really likes the idea
> and wants to find out.
>
> I also now realise that the two stage action in the switcher action
> seems un necessary. Why can it not be a single stage action - one
> click takes you fully to the chosen desktop??

That's a great little video. He does pretty well - not as well as on
Mac OS X, but then, he's used to an iPhone and an iPad and that helps.

He did /much/ better than on Win8. Bit of a triumph for Ubuntu
overall, and a big warning for MS.

I think they are making a huge mistake trying to graft a touch
interface onto a desktop mouse/keyboard/monitor OS. But then, I am
just fine with MICROS~1 making huge mistakes... ;¬)

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884