[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu Server 11.10 -- how do I enable remot access via Putty?

Tyler J. Wagner tyler at tolaris.com
Mon Mar 12 17:08:02 UTC 2012

On 2012-03-12 17:01, Alexander Birchall wrote:
> I thought I was quite experienced at administering a Ubuntu Server, but I
> am totally confused by the graphical desktop for Ubuntu Server 11.10.

I don't believe there is a GUI for server by default. Are you sure you used
the server disk?

> I need to be able to remotely connect to the server with Putty (my choice
> for remote access to servers).  But how do I enable this remote access --
> when I try I get a message saying network connection refused.
> Do I need to disable/configure a firewall?  How would I do that?

You need to install the openssh-server package on the server. You can do
that during the install process by selecting "SSH Server", or after the
install with:

sudo apt-get install openssh-server

"If we confuse dissent with disloyalty — if we deny the right of
the individual to be wrong, unpopular, eccentric or unorthodox —
if we deny the essence of racial equality then hundreds of millions
in Asia and Africa who are shopping about for a new allegiance will
conclude that we are concerned to defend a myth and our present
privileged status. Every act that denies or limits the freedom of
the individual in this country costs us the ... confidence of men and
women who aspire to that freedom and independence of which we speak
and for which our ancestors fought."
   -- Edward R. Murrow