[ubuntu-uk] Partitioning Question

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 17:23:37 UTC 2012

On 10 March 2012 17:15, Tony Pursell <ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Nige
>
> On 10 March 2012 14:32, Nigel Verity <nigelverity at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>

>> A bit of advice on partitioning, please.
>>

>> I currently dual-boot Xubuntu and Windows 7. I've now got to the happy
>> situation where I no longer need any Windows applications. Consequently I'd
>> like to delete Windows and reclaim the 80 Gb of disk space it takes up.
>> Would I be better off simply clearing down the whole machine and
>> re-installing Xubuntu from scratch, or is it safe to mess about with the
>> partitions using a tool like GParted. If the latter, perhaps somebody knows
>> of a good idiot's guide, as I've had a few problems in the past resizing
>> partitions.
>>

> I have used GParted to do a lot of repartitioning (e.g. shrinking Windows
> partitions to make space for 'buntu) will no ill effects.  However, I
> suspect that if you remove the Windows partition you may be also removing
> your boot sector leaving your Xubuntu unbootable.  I'm sure someone will
> tell us if this is wrong.

It shouldn't do, no, but as Alan C points out, it might cause the
partitions to be renumbered.

If *buntu is in a primary (say /dev/sda2) then if sda1 is removed,
sda2 might become sda1.

If it's in a logical drive inside an extended partition, the way that
it /should/ be done, it is not a problem - sda5 & above will stay sda5
etc.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884