[ubuntu-uk] Partitioning Question

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Mar 10 17:15:34 UTC 2012

Hi Nige

On 10 March 2012 14:32, Nigel Verity <nigelverity at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi
>

>  A bit of advice on partitioning, please.
>

>  I currently dual-boot Xubuntu and Windows 7. I've now got to the happy
> situation where I no longer need any Windows applications. Consequently I'd
> like to delete Windows and reclaim the 80 Gb of disk space it takes up.
> Would I be better off simply clearing down the whole machine and
> re-installing Xubuntu from scratch, or is it safe to mess about with the
> partitions using a tool like GParted. If the latter, perhaps somebody knows
> of a good idiot's guide, as I've had a few problems in the past resizing
> partitions.

I have used GParted to do a lot of repartitioning (e.g. shrinking Windows
partitions to make space for 'buntu) will no ill effects.  However, I
suspect that if you remove the Windows partition you may be also removing
your boot sector leaving your Xubuntu unbootable.  I'm sure someone will
tell us if this is wrong.

Tony