[ubuntu-uk] Xorg high CPU usage

Pete Smout psmouty at live.com
Thu Mar 8 19:05:14 UTC 2012

On 08/03/12 17:13, Pete Smout wrote:
> On 07/03/12 17:03, Pete Smout wrote:

>>> Thanks trying that, so far so good no issues to report!

>>> I am unable to locate /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d directory see terminal
>>> output:
>>>
>>> smouty at smouty-laptop:~$ cd /usr/share/X11
>>> smouty at smouty-laptop:/usr/share/X11$ ls
>>> locale rgb.txt XErrorDB xkb XKeysymDB xman.help
>>> smouty at smouty-laptop:/usr/share/X11$
>>>
>>> Although this has found (for me at least) XErrorDB which shows lots of
>>> errors far too numerous to list here (will put in pastebin if needed),
>>> but the file name to me suggests that it is the Data Base of all
>>> possible errors as there is no time / date next to the output.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Pete
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Spoke too soon, just happened again this time firefox, oh well keep
>> looking I spose.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Pete
>>

> Hi,
>
> I have had no luck with this issue, I am now certainly running the intel
> driver as far as I can tell. None of the x logs viewed in 'Log File
> Viewer' tell me anything I can understand or see as an obvious error,
> and I am now at a loss of where to look next!
>
> Any ideas anyone?
>
> Regards
>
> Pete

Hi,

Right I think I might be onto something! Having left top running on tty1
whilst going about other things, I have noticed that Firefox starts the
xorg problem so on a friends advice I have regressed Firefox to a
previous version by:
  mv ~/.mozilla/firefox ~/.mozilla/firefox_old
and then started Firefox again now using 10.02 (firefox not buntu!).
There is a PPA from mozilla called firefox stable, if this is the fix
then I will upgrade Firefox using the PPA.

Can anyone shed any light as to why the Firefox in the standard repo's
could cause this?

Has it happened to anyone else?

Good job I am not new to Ubuntu as this would have put me off an
otherwise great distro!

Fingers crossed,

Pete