[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu Plans (marketing)

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Wed Mar 7 23:29:01 UTC 2012

** Simon Greenwood <sfgreenwood at gmail.com> [2012-03-07 20:06]:
> On Mar 7, 2012 7:07 PM, "alan c" <aeclist at candt.waitrose.com> wrote:
> > On 07/03/12 19:00, alan c wrote:
> > > But trust in strangers is not something that comes easy in a world
> > > full of scams.
> >
> > Correction
> > trust in strangers only comes easily if people have paid a lot of
> > money for a retail box!
> >
> > --
> PC World have sold both RedHat and SUSE in the past, probably not for a
> good 10 years though.
** end quote [Simon Greenwood]

Yes, my first purchased copy of Linux was Caldera Open Linux 1.1 purchased from
PC World. Little did I know where they would end up! Still it got me going once
I finally had spare hardware without Windows NT or OS/2 running on it for work
to get hooked on Linux (I think I already was, I'd been reading about it on the
IBM 'forums' for a while already having found one on getting Linux running on
my IBM L40sx laptop). I shouldn't grumble too much though, OS/2 saved me from
too much reliance on Windows and made Intel hardware bearable. Being and Amiga
user Windows was such a major step down I couldn't understand how anyone could
consider it any more than a toy!