[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu Plans

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 15:12:29 UTC 2012

On 7 March 2012 14:56, Alan Bell <alan.bell at libertus.co.uk> wrote:
> On 07/03/12 14:43, Liam Proven wrote:
>>
>> https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=raspberry+pi+700+second
>>
>> I scaled it down 2 orders of magnitude to something I find a bit more
>> plausible.
>>
>> At £25, yes, I can believe they have a million-odd preorders.
>>
> yeah, I had seen the 700 a second stuff too, ridiculous! I can certainly
> believe they have a lot of pre-orders, certainly in the hundreds of
> thousands. A million is plausible taking into account international orders.
> What I am not seeing is a massive buzz about this in the educational sector
> yet. My teaching twitter friends are not really talking about it, it is a
> technology thing so far. Anyone else heard about the Raspberry Pi via a
> teacher or someone at a school who would not ordinarily be interested in
> geeky stuff?

Some.
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-03/06/raspberry-pi-hits-the-playground

But I think the point is that this is not aimed at *schools*, it is
aimed at *schoolkids*. The concept is that ICT teaching now amounts to
just classes in how to use a Windows PC & some majority (monopoly?)
apps.

Rpi is aimed at being affordable to kids, or to parents to buy for
their kids, for kids who want to play around and learn.

Getting it into classrooms would mean a total revamp of ICT teaching,
which is too ambitious a project at this stage.

I think it's a great idea. Not sure it will work, but hey, major kudos
to David Braben & Co for *trying.*

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884