[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu Plans

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 13:28:06 UTC 2012

On 7 March 2012 13:21, Alan Pope <alan.pope at canonical.com> wrote:

> On 07/03/12 13:08, Liam Proven wrote:
>> It's a *very* low-spec £25 computer. 256MB of non-expandable RAM,
>> no local storage or storage interface, just an SD card, a very
>> low-powered low-end ARM core, and a proprietary GPU with
>> proprietary drivers, even a proprietary bootloader.
>>

> Sounds delightful! :D

Hey, it's a hella cool toy for £15 (standalone model) or £25 (with
LAN). They sold out the initial production run in about 3min, at 6AM,
and there have been 7 orders a second ever since. Looks like they will
sell several million units.

My hope is that they do really well and it results in a second version
which is a bit more powerful and a bit more open.

>> It is roughly equivalent to an 11 or 12 year old PC: a Pentium II
>> 300MHz with a quarter of a gig of RAM. It is not a suitable system
>> for running Ubuntu on, unless you want to give people a very bad
>> impression.
>
> You could install GNOME 2 instea.. oh wait..

Ha! Indeed.

I think someone is working on a Lubuntu version, or at least a custom LXDE port.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884