[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu Plans

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 13:08:54 UTC 2012

On 7 March 2012 11:28, paul sutton <zleap at zleap.net> wrote:
> On 07/03/12 10:36, Nigel Verity wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> It's been interesting to read about Canonical's ideas for the future of
> Ubuntu; in particular its use as an OS for tablets and other mobile devices.
> It strikes me that some of this vision is undermined by the implications of
> the "Secure Boot" functionality being specified by Microsoft on ARM
> processors as a pre-requisite to achieve "Windows 8 Compatible" status.
>
> A lot of the up-coming tablets are going to be using ARM chips, so unless
> the Microsoft requirement is modified, or manufacturers choose to ignore it,
> the Canonical vision seems to be flawed. Or am I missing something?
>
> Regards
>
> Nige
>

> Well there is the raspberry PI, which is an arm based system, I wonder if
> canonical can work with broadcom / rasp PI foundation and come up with
> something that way, as in build a specific tablet device for this,   In fact
> the raspberry Pi  (type motherboard) + suitable case + screen should do the
> trick,  let MS do their secure boot thing,  we don't need it, we certainly
> don't need the restrictions this will come with,  oh specific hardware,
> fully closed linux can't run, its not just the secure boot we need to
> contend with.   Offer a REAL alternative,  that is designed FOR ubuntu /
> LInux and we should be far better off.

Have you actually *looked* at the Rpi at all?

It's a *very* low-spec £25 computer. 256MB of non-expandable RAM, no
local storage or storage interface, just an SD card, a very
low-powered low-end ARM core, and a proprietary GPU with proprietary
drivers, even a proprietary bootloader.

It /does/ run Ubuntu - v9.04. Ubuntu 10.04 dropped support for the
Rpi's series of ARM cores.

It is roughly equivalent to an 11 or 12 year old PC: a Pentium II
300MHz with a quarter of a gig of RAM. It is not a suitable system for
running Ubuntu on, unless you want to give people a very bad
impression.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884