[ubuntu-uk] Xorg high CPU usage

Grant Phillips-Sewell dcglug at cornwall-it.co.uk
Tue Mar 6 18:15:49 UTC 2012

On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 18:07:08 +0000
Pete Smout wrote:

> On 05/03/12 21:10, Pete Smout wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > For about a week now my laptop (ubuntu 10.04 LTS fully updated) has
> > been freezing up for approx 30 secs, with gkrellm and top showing
> > xorg using 100% cpu usage?
> > There seems to be no pattern to what programs I am using, everything
> > from open office to clementine to smplayer or thunderbird, not at
> > any certain time of day or day of the week, or even weather using
> > the inbuilt screen or external one.
> >
> > My understanding (admittedly limited) is that xorg is the bit that
> > works the display (screen). Has anyone else come across this?
> >
> > For reference the laptop specs are:
> >
> > Acer Aspire 5720
> > Intel T5250 Dual core processor
> > Ram 2.0 gb
> > Internal graphics (intel)
> > Internal sound (intel)
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any ideas
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Pete
> >

> just for reference my xorg.conf:
>
> Section "Device"
> 	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
> 	Driver		"fbdev"
> EndSection

Might want to look into that bit.

You should have a specific Xorg "driver" for your onboard Intel
graphics chip.

Run the following command to find out your graphics chip:
 lspci

Look for the line that has VGA on it.

If it does indeed say something about an Intel chip, then make sure you
have the following package installed:
 xserver-xorg-video-intel

(That package deals with all i8xx and i9xx chips)

Once that's installed, remove the xorg.conf file and restart X.

You can restart X by going to a terminal (NOT a terminal window...
press CTRL+ALT+F2 and log in) and then run:
 sudo service lightdm restart

(Or just reboot... up to you.)

Grant.