[ubuntu-uk] dig out your old computers...

Bruno Girin brunogirin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 23:12:48 UTC 2012

On 04/03/12 22:23, Jim Price wrote:
> On 04/03/12 20:18, Phill Whiteside wrote:
>> grep pae /proc/cpuinfo
>> flags           : fpu tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr mca cmov pat pse36
>> mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up ts
> >
>> The above output shows a CPU that does have PAE support. If the command
>> returns nothing, then the CPU does not have PAE support.
>
> It looks like I don't have any x86 machines which don't have PAE.
> Looking at the processors which don't have it, I'd be surprised if
> many of their motherboards supported as much as 128MB. My PII MMX
> laptop is maxed out at 96MB.

According to Wikipedia [1], Celeron M and Pentium M processors don't
have NX support, which to all intents and purposes means that they
behave as if they had no PAE support. Those are quite recent and would
be found in laptops such as my ThinkPad T42 that has 2GB RAM but can't
boot the latest Ubuntu ISO. So I'll try with the Lubuntu one.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executable_space_protection#Linux

Cheers,

Bruno