[ubuntu-uk] dig out your old computers...

Jim Price d1version at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 4 19:56:46 UTC 2012

On 03/03/12 22:51, Phill Whiteside wrote:
> Hiyas,
>
> Yeah, for the testing of lubuntu [1] [2]
>
> We need some 128Mb RAM machines [2] . These are needed for non PAE chipsets
> as well. We need to know if the none PAE system install actually will work.
> We only have one with actual hardware as yet, the others are doing it via
> VM.

I have some old machines. How do I tell if they are non PAE?

> We are also testing mac-ppc stuff, seems okay on G4 with quibbles, but an
> extra G3 equipped person would allow a bug to be confirmed as we only have
> one person.

I also have a slot loading iMac G3 400MHz machine - currently with
Ubuntu 8.04 on it, and somewhat unused at the moment. Should I download
the desktop or alternate CD to install on that machine?

> For the "new" Intel-Macs, again, we only have one - but that will only get
> a bug heat if we have a couple of testers: If you know of any one who could
> help on these, please join the lubuntu-qa team, so far it looks still
> possible.

I've just signed up - what happens next?

> The beta 1's are at the usual place
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePangolin/TechnicalOverview/Beta1
>
> The dailies, as always are spilt between Desktop and alternate. If you need
> more information on testing

That's me that is!

> but think you do not know how to do so, please
> do reply - Honest, we do not bite from any of the testing teams. It is
> frequently that the new comers say something is wrong&  the rest of us go
> "Dho!, who did we miss that one?"
>
> Please do not see my request to UK list as any attempt to favour one
> flavour of *buntu over an other. Each flavour has an important section in
> our family.

I've just installed lubuntu-desktop on my Precise machine, and I have to
say I quite like it already.

--
JimP