[ubuntu-uk] What does this remind you of

Bruno Girin brunogirin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 11:30:09 UTC 2012

On 03/03/12 09:59, mac wrote:
> Why did this make me think of Unity?
>
> Windows 8 UI is little gain for lots of pain:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/03/andrew_does_windows8/
>
> ;-)
>
> --
> mac

Indeed. And one of the comments likens it to Unity. Andrew makes some
very valid points about the usability of the Metro UI. I think it's
important for Ubuntu and the Ayatana team to learn from articles like
this and ensure that none of the issues raised there apply to Unity.
They should also have a look at Metro to see what it does well (surely,
it must do some things well?)

Both Unity and Metro are bold changes to the way you use your computer
and raise the risk of severe backlash from users who were used to
something different. Unity has a number of advantages:

  * The 6 month release cycle means that it's already on its third
    iteration and has improved steadily with each one.
  * It looks like Unity is actually a lot less invasive in its changes
    than Metro is.
  * Because Ubuntu is FLOSS, it's a lot easier to regression test
    applications and address issues like the ALT-TAB / Super-TAB problem
    (aka WTF area) mentioned in the article.

This should be a great opportunity for Ubuntu (and Linux in general) to
gain mind share and attract people who are confused by Windows 8: the
"I'm staying with what I'm used to" argument has to be close to
irrelevant by now. Interesting times ahead!

Cheers,

Bruno