[ubuntu-uk] Microsoft Surface Release, Will there be something similar from Ubuntu?

David King linuxman at avoura.com
Fri Jun 29 21:26:39 UTC 2012

On 25/06/12 16:20, kpb wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 13:17:03 +0100
> Alan Pope<alan.pope at canonical.com>  wrote:
>
>> http://design.canonical.com/2011/11/ubuntu-phone-tablet-and-tv-discussion-opened/
>>
>> Feel free to let us know what you think an Ubuntu tablet should look
>> like, features and so on. We'd be interested to know.
>>
> Education market (secondary/college):
>
> 1) vga socket and ability to retain touch calibration while mirroring to old projectors 1024/768 and even 800 by 600 that refuse to die. You just saved us a fortune on proprietary interactive whiteboards. I'd buy one alone for that.
>
> 2) Stylus friendly. By stylus friendly I mean ability to get fine control with a stylus for drawing and painting but with a finger touch based UI.
>
> 3) Flash (yes, I know old tech, but that is education) and Java JVM available. BBC iPlayer solution that is guaranteed to work in the future whatever the Beeb perpetrate.
>
> 4) USB sockets aplenty for attaching keyboards&c
>
> 5) a Canonical branded note taking app with handwriting recognition that could recognise mathematical notation and shell out to LaTeX. Oh, and the Moon.
>
> I would imagine it will have to be widescreen (have you noticed how most iPad users use them portrait?)
>
> Well, you asked. Best of luck with it, that would be an ace thing to see.
>
> cheers

Great ideas. I would add the following:

A way to add external storage through a USB socket, so a few USB sockets
would be good.

It seems that the Unity interface is designed for tablet use, so maybe
Canonical does have putting Ubuntu onto tablets as a long-term goal?

It would need to be powerful enough and have a large enough screen to be
usable with existing Linux apps. There is a KDE-based tablet coming out
soon, but it looks too limited to be of use, underpowered, and just a
800x600 screen (not much better than a smartphone).

I have a stylus for touchscreens which works okay on my smartphone and
BlackBerry PlayBook, but not always with enough precision, e.g. for
drawing. So an Ubuntu tablet would have to have good precision, as
stated above.

I guess that such a device would cost quite a bit considering the
hardware choices. But if it were marketed properly, as a quality device,
running a quality OS that has the lowest probability of getting viruses,
and able to run desktop apps, it might be quite successful. I wonder if
Mark Shuttleworth would be willing to subsidize the cost so it could
still be cheaper than an iPad?

David K