[ubuntu-uk] Hamachi

Byte Soup bytesoup at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 20:20:57 UTC 2012

Hello folks,

One of my kids like playing minecraft and he asked about setting up a
server using Hamachi.

Now I know we could setup a machine and open a port on the home router, but
I wasn't too keen on the idea. I'm not sure if any incoming connections to
a minecraft server couldn't be used as a hop off onto the local network. I
don't know enough about the minecraft server to say if there are any
vulnerabilities.

So Hamachi can be used to get around the port forwarding etc. but I'm not
sure how secure it is. It's seems to add a route into the routing table for
5.0.0.0/8 and could it mean that even if you aren't hosting the server but
connected into the Hamachi network other users could possibly gain access
to your machine and even your local network?

Doors anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks, Mark