[ubuntu-uk] Heads up: Fedora pays Microsoft

Bill Cumming bill at s0l.co.uk
Fri Jun 1 11:15:42 UTC 2012

I think that was one of the reasons for Fedora's deal with Microsoft.
Getting a user to manually change the BIOS to remove this "protection" may
be seen as a type of DRM Circumvention which can be illegal in some
countries.

Or would this not come under those laws?

On 1 June 2012 11:54, Bea Groves <beagroves at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've sent an email on the matter to my colleagues at the Institute for
> Learning as a heads-up to an issue that may well impact on the curriculum
> offered in FE colleges as time goes on. It's worth spreading the word on
> this to all parties that might be affected by it; the more we're aware the
> more we can protest.
>

> On 01/06/12 11:28, paul sutton wrote:
>
>> On 01/06/12 07:48, alan c wrote:
>>
>>>  From the Bad News department:
>>>
>>> Lockdown: free/open OS maker pays Microsoft ransom for the right to
>>> boot on users' computers
>>> By Cory Doctorow May 31
>>> http://boingboing.net/2012/05/**31/lockdown-freeopen-os-maker-**p.html<http://boingboing.net/2012/05/31/lockdown-freeopen-os-maker-p.html>
>>>
>>>  Ok forwarded the link to my local MP and while the issues are technical
>> i have tried to argue or at least say that we should have fairness and
>> if we want to run other systems we should be able to.
>>
>> Also made a point in saying thast many universities / industries use
>> Linux for their work,  as well as Linux being used for film CGI,
>>
>> Not sure if this helps but I really don't know what else i can do,   A
>> lot of users probably won't even notice,  until it's too late.
>>

>> Paul
>>

> --
> Beatrix E. Groves
> BA Hons (Educ) LCGI MAPTT MIFL QTLS
> President, Institute for Learning (IfL)
> General Secretary, Association of Part-Time Tutors (APTT)
> <>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~**<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>
> Email:  beagroves at gmail.com
> Email:  bea at beagroves.net
> Web:    http://www.beagroves.net
> Blog:   http://beagroves.tumblr.com
> <>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~**<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>
>
> Random Quote of the Day (chosen by my computer) ------------->
>
> “Freedom of enterprise was from the beginning not altogether a blessing.
> As the liberty to work or to starve, it spelled toil, insecurity, and fear
> for the vast majority of the population. If the individual were no longer
> compelled to prove himself on the market, as a free economic subject, the
> disappearance of this freedom would be one of the greatest achievements of
> civilization.” (Herbert Marcuse)

Regards

Bill Cumming

Twitter: @s0l_uk