[ubuntu-uk] Recommendations for a printer?

Yorvyk yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 6 11:02:21 UTC 2012

On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 11:05:16 +0000
Barry Drake <ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com> wrote:

> On 03/01/12 22:56, David King wrote:
> > I was looking at the Brother DCP-J925DW which meets my needs, but am
> > wondering if anyone knows of any other printer that does the same and
> > would be the same price or cheaper, or better quality printing.
> I bought my Brother DCP 135C because the ink cost is lower than most
> others.  It is supported under Ubuntu - but the drivers are a real pain
> to install!  Once done, it works just fine, but I agree with others on
> the list - before getting the printer, try installing the drivers.
>
> A goodly number of printers now have a penguin on the box too!  Brother
> is not one of these (yet).
>
> Regards,        Barry.

Anybody requiring a cheap mono laser printer, I can recommend the Samsung ML-1865, £39.99 from Staples.[1] I used the PPA from [2] to install the drivers and everything has run smoothly since.
Staples are also selling some 7' USB leads for £1 each, I got some and they appear to be perfectly good leads.
They are also selling toilet paper rather cheaply as well, if you need to stock up. :)
I have no connection to Staples, in fact I've never been to keen on shopping there.

[1] http://www.staples.co.uk/technology/printers-scanners-and-fax/printers-scanners-and-fax/ml-1865-mono-laser-printer?r=bf
[2] http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/

--
Yorvyk