[ubuntu-uk] Shut down button missing on upgrade

James Tait james.tait at wyrddreams.org
Thu Jan 5 17:55:01 UTC 2012

On 05/01/12 15:06, scoundrel50a wrote:
> Wow, that helped sort of. It is something to do with
> gnome-settings-daemon. If I enter that into a terminal, funny thing
> happens in the left panel and the top panel, and the Drop down menu
> appears. If I close the terminal, it goes away again........

Yes - this is because when you close the terminal, you also terminate
and subprocesses launched from it, in this case gnome-settings-daemon.
You can append a '&' (i.e. gnome-settings-daemon&) to background the
process and then it should continue running after the terminal window is
closed.  Alternatively, you can keep the terminal open, which might help
you to track down whatever it is that's causing gnome-settings-daemon to
crash, or see below....

> does that mean the gnome-settings-daemon
> is not running,

Yes. :)

>  and should it be running all the time,

Yes. :)

>  and also, how can
> I get the Icon to remain, without having to keep the terminal open......

You can run it from the "Run a command" prompt via alt-F2, but the
important point here is that you shouldn't need to - it should already
be running.  Something is causing it to crash, and it would be nice if
we could figure out what.

JT
James Tait, BSc                        |    xmpp:jayteeuk at wyrddreams.org
Programmer and Free Software advocate  |        Tel: +44 (0)870 490 2407