[ubuntu-uk] Raspberry Pi

Steve Pearce me at stevepdp.org
Wed Feb 29 20:45:12 UTC 2012

On 29/02/12 17:27, john beddard wrote:
 > This the breakthrough we needed !

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/generalDisplay.html?id=raspberrypi&cm_mmc=UK-PPC-0212-_-02_Raspberry_PI-_-Raspberry_PI-_-Raspberry_Pi

 > Has anyone got one yet ?

I was up at 05:30 for the announcement and was quite lucky to secure my
Pi a couple of hours later, but considering my expected delivery date is
mid April; I don't think it's a part of the initial 10,000 batch.

On 29/02/12 18:38, Paul Sladen wrote:
> For those wondering:
>
>    Ubuntu targets the ARMv7 *instruction set*
>    Raspberry Pi is only ARMv6 *instruction set*
>
> See:
>
>    http://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM#ARM_Processor
>
> This means that the out-of-the-box the .deb packages in Ubuntu won't
> work.  —ARMv6 support was dropped in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS ("lucid").
>
> Hopefully once RPs are out there in massive numbers it'll be possible
> to do a re-built version of Ubuntu; and to possibly make things
> transparently work with multi-arch.

Unity is such a fresh and exciting environment to study and use. I
imagine kids would get excited about it on looks alone. It's so much
classier than what they're used to seeing on their smartboards.

Imagine if Unity could be optimized to run well on the such low-end
hardware. Or if that's not realistic then consider a new window manager
that takes all of the design principles of the Unity desktop but strips
out a lot of the integration so as to improve performance. It would be king!

Unfortunately porting platforms to different architectures and
developing window managers is way out of my range of understanding
currently, but it's something I'm keen to learn about :-)

We need to make Ubuntu and/or Unity on RaspberryPi a reality!

--stevepdp