[ubuntu-uk] Raspberry Pi

Roachy roachy at roachy.net
Wed Feb 29 18:13:08 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 5:52 PM, Simon Greenwood <sfgreenwood at gmail.com>wrote:

> The Fedora build is a desktop build (called a remix, so probably not with
> all the bangs and whistles of the out of the box DVD distro) and fits on a
> 2Gb SD card. The Debian build is, I believe, more server oriented, but
> that's Debian generally is. XFCE will run happily in 256Mb of RAM and there
> are other small GUIs with the same kind of footprint/

Both will have custom/ARM based kernels.  Having used ARM versions of
Debian on Sheevaplugs it's generally extremely stable.  I've just checked
and Debian (2.6.32) on a plug (no gui) with a few applications installed is
only using 596M storage and 85Mb RAM

This is an intriguing project from a portable computing perspective as
well.

I want one! :)