[ubuntu-uk] Heres an idea (Was "Unity is not working")

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Wed Feb 22 18:14:33 UTC 2012

David Smith wrote:
> I have to agree with most being said about Unity and how it is such a
> jump from what we were used to.

Sure, but did you need to do it in yet another brand new thread?

> I understand the evolution of software, from one version to the next,
> but this felt like we were being forced to grow wings and webbed feet
> at the same time (no longer Linux for human beings).

What? It's linux for ducks? I can see several things that're a bit
wrong with unity, and more that I disagree with, but I'd not go so far
as to suggest that much of it is fundamentally hard for what I've long
assumed to be the sorts of humans Ubuntu advertises itself as for.

> What I haven't noticed is anyone saying that they've jumped to
> Kubuntu (to stay faithful to *buntu).  I've had a go, and I'm pretty
> impressed.  It is as easy to find stuff as Ubuntu 10.10 (which I have
> been using on my netbook and am loathe to stop when support is
> discontinued).

I've known many people go to KDE but few stay. Most people who want to
'stay faithful' switch to XFCE which has the advantage of looking like
old Gnome did.

> It seemed to me that a whole load of customisation was taken away
> from the user when Unity came in, but this is an opinion on limited
> information, since I've only dabbled, and my reaction after dabbling
> with Unity was a dismissive "Naaaaaaaah!!"
>
> I suspect I will go to Mint on my netbook in due time.
>
> Thoughts?

Well, it's probably worth doing more than just a dismissive "Naaaaaaah"
before abandoning it.

--
Avi.