[ubuntu-uk] Alt - tab misbehaving

J Fernyhough j.fernyhough at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 15:50:31 UTC 2012

On 22 February 2012 15:39, javadayaz <javadayaz at gmail.com> wrote:
> so is this a hardware problem..?
> what can i do to fix this?
>
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 3:14 PM, J Fernyhough <j.fernyhough at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 22 February 2012 13:46, javadayaz <javadayaz at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Recently ive found my system is crashing or unresponsive when i press
>> > Alt
>> > tab to switch between programs..?
>> >
>> > Has anyone else seen this?
>> >

>> I've seen something similar(?) previously with fglrx and mipmapping
>> enabled in the Compiz plugin settings (e.g. the static window
>> switcher); though I could move windows after an ALT-TAB any update to
>> their content wouldn't display. I'm not sure if this has been fixed
>> since I turned off all mipmapping options when I got my Studio 1749
>> (then Catalyst version somewhere in the 11s?).
>>
>> Jonathon

Well, assuming it is mipmapping (which it may well not be!) the
easiest way I know of is to install ccsm ($ sudo apt-get install
compizconfig-settings-manager), open it, click on Advanced Search,
type mipmap into the filter, then go through each plugin in turn and
make sure the Mipmap checkbox is empty.

If this doesn't fix it, try running unity --replace in a terminal and
seeing if any descriptive error messages are shown when it starts
misbehaving.

Jonathon