[ubuntu-uk] Unity is not working.

Kris Douglas krisdouglas at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 14:09:06 UTC 2012

On 22 February 2012 14:06, Dave Morley <davmor2 at davmor2.co.uk> wrote:

> On 22/02/12 13:56, Kris Douglas wrote:
>> On 22 February 2012 13:49, James Morrissey
>> <morrissey.james1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Without stating any preferences on a thread which is likely to
>>> bring forth opinions: As i understand it, the current Unity
>>> Interface is (at least in part) the result of the sort of testing
>>> you are describing:
>>>
>>> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/02/mark-shuttleworth-explains-dodge-ditch-decision-in-precise/
>>>

> https://lists.launchpad.net/unity-design/msg07682.html

>> Hello James,
>>
>> That is entirely related to the fact the bar dodged windows, and
>> yes I believe that is to be discontinued. However, that is not the
>> problem to be honest, the the "iconfication" and hiding of menus
>> and maximising each window... etc etc.
>>
> Kris
>
> I'm confused could you not say click on the big ubuntu logo, in the
> search field type in the name of the application you are after?
>
> Also now in 12.04 if an application is installed via Software-center
> and it has a valid .desktop file it is automatically added to the
> launcher bar which it wasn't before so then you get to manually remove
> any you don't want.

I said those exact words, he didn't know the logo, and didn't
understand why he couldn't just look through a list.

It took me about 15-20mins to get him to the stage where he understood
the unity launcher box. He thought it was a free trial which only came
with the icons on the left and intended to buy windows to replace it.

--
Regards, Kris Douglas.
 www.krisd.eu