[ubuntu-uk] Regular updates, and alpha/beta releases .....

Alan Pope alan.pope at canonical.com
Thu Feb 9 09:30:51 UTC 2012

On 09/02/12 09:07, Barry Drake wrote:

> My question: is what I am now using exactly the same as if I took the
> Alpha 2 release and updated this?

Effectively yes.

> And when we get to April release date,
> will I then have an installation exactly the same as the newly released
> Precise Pangolin, or ought I to re-install?

Debatable. There may be the odd setting here or there which you may be
carrying from an earlier update, but it's pretty much identical. Some
might suggest creating a clean user or deleting certain dot-directories
in your home, or doing a clean install. Up to you really.

> Clearly, I don't yet
> understand how the alpha/beta/release process works.

I think you do :)

If you install a development version before release you're going to get
a lot of updates up until release. Then you'll start getting the usual
bug/security updates afterwards.

Cheers,
Al.

--