[ubuntu-uk] Copying encrypted volume dd

Tyler J. Wagner tyler at tolaris.com
Wed Dec 5 11:50:41 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-05 11:34, Anton Kanishchev wrote:
> I have got an encrypted partition on my hdd, used alternative cd (encrypted
> lvm volume) of ubuntu 12.04. I am trying to back up the entire installation
> (i. E. Entire harddrive), would dd work if booted from a live cd?

Yes, as long as the destination partition/LV/md-raid volume is equal-to or
larger than the source.

An easier solution may be to boot from the live CD, install cryptsetup and
lvm2, then open and mount the encrypted partition locally. Then copy its
contents where you like, including two a second encrypted container. See
these commands:

cryptsetup
lvdisplay
udisks

Regards,
Tyler

--
"Any advert in a public space that gives you no choice whether you see it
or not is yours. It’s yours to take, re-arrange and re-use. You can do