[ubuntu-uk] Locking screen.......

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 17:23:20 UTC 2012

On 3 December 2012 19:48, scoundrel50a <scoundrel50a at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Thank you for your reply, in Settings>Power under 'When lid is closed' is
> says Suspend, but it doesnt, when I lift the lid up there is no log in
> screen it just goes straight to the desktop

Hang on a sec' - you are conflating 2 different questions here.

Q1: does it actually suspend & then resume?
Q2: when it resumes, does it stop & prompt for a password or go
directly to the desktop?

Telling if it suspends can be a bit like trying to tell if the little
light goes out when you close the fridge door. If you can see, it's
not closed yet so it stays on.

But there are ways. Normally if a portable suspends, it goes silent -
the fans stop, the hard disk spins down, etc. It will often go cool if
not 100% cold. The power LED may blink or pulse slowly, or a special
sleep LED may light up. E.g. on my Toshiba Satellite the LED pulses
slowly, but on my 2 old Thinkpads, the power LED stays on but a small
crescent-mood LED lights up to tell you it's asleep.

Firstly, is your machine sleeping? Once we have verified that, /then/
we can work out why it's not asking for a password. But if it doesn't
sleep, then it doesn't wake, and if it doesn't wake then it will never
ask for the password.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884