[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu and UEFI

Bruno Girin brunogirin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 14:26:36 UTC 2012

On 29/11/12 22:52, alan c wrote:
> On 28/11/12 08:42, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> Thought this might be of interest!
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PyOYsQmetQ
>
> Very nice to see a 'properly implemented' machine. That particular one
> is a bit pricey for my target audience of potential new Ubuntu users.

That may be part of the problem. I suspect that, as usual, business
class machines like the ThinkPads will likely be properly implemented
while consumer class machines probably less so.

> I look forward to a machine which is available in UK and also
> available without a Windows OS preinstalled.

System 76 ship everywhere in Europe now, including the UK, have a
"International UK Keyboard Layout" option and come pre-loaded with Ubuntu.

> It is interesting to speculate about just how I will be able to
> confirm that a chosen machine is, in the event, 'properly implemented'
>
> Even with machines with bios, it has been onerous to determine in
> advance, before purchase, which hardware, particularly laptops, would
> work well out of the box (with Ubuntu). Fortunately, Ubuntu has
> achieved really good compatibility with many machines, and improving.
> It will be important to encourage that trend.

Yes. Maybe a wiki page with a rating (from "Completely useless, avoid at
all cost" to "Perfect") that we could all contribute to? So at least if
any of us identifies how a particular model behaves, we can share the info.

Bruno