[ubuntu-uk] Cloning my current install to a new HDD

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 13 13:23:07 UTC 2012

On 13 August 2012 14:00, Dave Morley <davmor2 at davmor2.co.uk> wrote:

> On 13/08/12 13:57, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
>> I've looked at various solutions for cloning - they all assume that
>> the new HDD is installed in the computer. I need to clone via a USB
>> HDD as I'm replacing the HDD in my laptop (160GB instead of 80GB -
>> that's all the BIOS will take!) and so cannot install the new HDD
>> alongside the old! I am also looking at the possibility of
>> dual-booting with Windows 7 (hence the bigger HDD - as my wife is
>> being moved to Win 7 with her work laptop and as usual, I suspect
>> that her IT dept will not do it properly) and thus my second
>> question is this: If I install Win 7 first on a partition of the
>> new HDD would I then be able to restore the clone to a second
>> partition and how would that affect Grub?
>>

> Clonezilla

Just to clarify that, with clonezilla you can boot from a live
clonezilla CD, clone the disk to an image file (an image file, not an
actual clone) on the usb stick (or to another machine on the network).
 Then change the disk in the laptop and use clonezilla again to
re-create the image on the new disk.  Then you can use gparted of
course to increase the partition size to use the rest of the disc, if
that is what you want to do (using the gparted live cd).

Colin