[ubuntu-uk] Cloning my current install to a new HDD

Gordon Burgess-Parker gbplinux at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 12:57:19 UTC 2012

I've looked at various solutions for cloning - they all assume that the
new HDD is installed in the computer.
I need to clone via a USB HDD as I'm replacing the HDD in my laptop
(160GB instead of 80GB - that's all the BIOS will take!) and so cannot
install the new HDD alongside the old!
I am also looking at the possibility of dual-booting with Windows 7
(hence the bigger HDD - as my wife is being moved to Win 7 with her work
laptop and as usual, I suspect that her IT dept will not do it properly)
and thus my second question is this:
If I install Win 7 first on a partition of the new HDD would I then be
able to restore the clone to a second partition and how would that
affect Grub?