[ubuntu-uk] problems upgrading Ubuntu

David King linuxman at avoura.com
Tue Aug 7 17:15:42 UTC 2012

I was using Ubuntu Studio 10.10, and as I have the week off, finally
decided to take the plunge and upgrade to 12.04.

I therefore used the Update Manager, went to 11.04, then to 11.10.

But I cannot get any further. When I try to run the Update Manager,
nothing happens. I tried from a terminal and got the following:

~$ update-manager
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/update-manager", line 26, in <module>
     from gi.repository import Gtk
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/__init__.py", line 23, in
<module>
     from ._gi import _API, Repository
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/_gi.so: undefined
symbol: g_callable_info_skip_return

Is this a known bug, or is it just something simple that can be fixed
easily?

David K