[ubuntu-uk] recommendations for dongle internet?

Paul Sladen ubuntu at paul.sladen.org
Tue Aug 7 16:26:34 UTC 2012

On Tue, 7 Aug 2012, Adam Funk wrote:
> On 2012-08-04, Stuart Ward wrote:
> > Please go into a shop and ask about Linux support.

Or if what you are really after is Ubuntu support, then ask for
"Ubuntu" support *by name*.  (Rather than asking for "Linux").

> > support for Linux, but all my protestations fell on deaf ears.
> > too many distributions and variations
> Good for you!

Yes, "too many variations [of Linux]" has historically been an issue
and barrier in gaining Free software the mindshare/traction it
deserves.

Ubuntu is part of the answer to this;

Focus people's attention on a single well-polished brand and OS.  Get
consumers (such as you and I) used to using and asking for "Ubuntu",
and also get the hardware and services vendors to support that the
same Ubuntu that the users are asking for.

	-Paul

* NB. Once it's working on Ubuntu, it will work on all the distros:
the key is to *focus* initially, rather than dilute and confuse.