[ubuntu-uk] recommendations for dongle internet?

Anton Kanishchev antonk20117 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 15:38:49 UTC 2012

Hi Adam,
I have used an android smartphone as a wifi hotspot with no problems with
ubuntu (from 10.04). Most dongles should work with it anyway. From my very
limited experience the huawei ones work right out of the box, it is just a
question of changing a setting so that it connects via the dongle and
doesnt look for wifi(or just turn off wifi and that should work). In worst
case scenario if it doesnt work for some reason then most shops
(o2,vodafone etc) will refund you the cost if it doesnt work. Since the
kernel 3.0.27 update (latest i think) there is now support for even more
devices.  ps this is the dongle that i have used-- huawei k3770. The
following guide should help if you do encounter any problems
http://digitalgotcha.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/get-vodafone-3g-dongle-huawei-k3770.html

hope this helped