[ubuntu-uk] Problem installing

David Smith Dave at p3computers.com
Mon Apr 30 23:10:11 UTC 2012

At the risk of someone having had a similar problem, I'm struggling to install Ubuntu on my desktop.  My netbook accepted Xubuntu absolutely fine, and I am getting to grips it.  My desktop however won't accept Ubuntu x86.

I have tried with a CDROM and unetbootin, with the live CD and with the alternative installler.  The best I have got is for it to install using the alternative, but not boot up -- it just hangs indefinitely after GRUB.

Intel E7300 CPU
3GB RAM
ECS GF7050VT-M5 motherboard
Nvidia 1GB 550 Ti (Asus)
SATA 0 is 1TB Seagate NTFS Windows 7 x64
SATA 1 is 160GB Maxtor NTFS data (2x 80GB partitions for some reason).
SATA 3 is TSST DVDRW
IDE Primary Master is EXT4 Ubuntu, Linux swap and GRUB loader.

Bearing in mind that I could not get it to boot with a live CD, it is unlikely to have anything to do with where GRUB is, especially as that was how I had it under Kubuntu 11.10.

Is there any way of getting some more details, like from a verbose screen during boot?  Or does anyone see anything in my HW configuration that has been resolved already?

Thanks in advace,

Dave Smith
Windows technician and Ubuntu afficionado.

P.S., saw a UUKML user's email address as being something at sohcahtoa.something.  Not thought of Sohcahtoa since high school.  Funny how it all comes back!