[ubuntu-uk] Upgrading to 12.04 ....

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Apr 30 15:00:26 UTC 2012

Hi All

On 30 April 2012 15:10, alan c <aeclist at candt.waitrose.com> wrote:

> On 30/04/12 15:02, kpb at sohcahtoa.org.uk wrote:
>
>> Hello All
>>
>> Hum.... backups
>>
>> Ubuntu One accounts get 5Gb free. I'm wondering if an option to
>> automatically sync the Documents folder with Ubuntu One might help
>> people not loose lots of work? I know it is getting into Google
>> Chrome OS territory, and, yes, potentially another annoying and
>> confusing choice when booting for the first time. Just a thought.
>>
>> Hope the chap who has nowhere to copy his 19Gb reads this: 5Gb on
>> Ubuntu One, 2Gb on Dropbox and 5Gb on Google Drive. Use a local
>> coffee bar or arts centre free wifi to do the intial sync to avoid
>> topping out your broadband if it is capped. Better than loosing the
>> lot.
>>

> I have not used it much yet but I think that the backup app in 12.04 - by
> default - tries to connect with ubuntu one! :-)
> This is a good idea in principle. However I will be interested to see how
> it works out. There are a real lot of hurdles from novice needing initial
> backup through to successful use of U1 for backup, not least a typically
> slow-ish upload rate.
> Most people are now familiar with usb sticks and external larger usb
> connected drives, and I suspect that is a more newcomer friendly route.

I am 'that chap' with 19GB to back up.  I wouldn't use U1.  It does too
much syncing with my other machines.  I keep it for files that I want to
sync everywhere (like the file with the router's WEP key).  Plus it is slow
as a backup medium.  I don't have capped broadband, which is good as I
don't like coffee :)

You are all right.  I must look at backups, but I think it is a bit of a
cop out to say it's your fault if an upgrade fails.  True, I did run a risk
on a machine that I know crashes a lot and I am lucky to have got out of it
relatively unscathed.  I have also be able to resize partitions, etc
without having made backups.  But I do think that developers should try to
design upgrades that can recover from interruptions.

I'm also not keen on the 'do a re-install' mantra.  Its great if you have a
minimal system, like I had on my netbook, but my desktop has loads of
extras installed that I would have to remember and re-install.  (That is a
drawback, I suppose of keeping the initial install down to CD size - it
doesn't even have LO Base). Then there is always all that re-inputting of
email and instant messenger account details.

I would be keen on keeping with 12.04 LTS until the next LTS, but I know I
will lose out on upgrades to packages like LO.  If I were on Windows, there
would be no problem getting the next LO release.  I hope developers will
look at getting more package updates into LTS point releases.

Tony